Being a mother is an entirely different experience that women have to go through in life. There’s no denying that although it is a fulfilling one, it can suck out all the energy a mom has in a day. Motherhood is another full-time job wherein one never knows when the holiday will be. This is significantly harder when work comes into the equation leaving almost no time to devote to oneself.
Given all of these, there may come a time when working moms can see themselves in the mirror seems to have lost their youth and charm after just a few years. Hence, self-care is essential.
Here are six self-care tips for supermoms:
1. Stay physically active
Yes, house chores require a lot of moving. However, it is better to do a physical activity that a busy mom will find enjoyable and something to look forward to.
- Outdoor yoga: Several studies have scientifically proven the health benefits of doing yoga. Based on a 3-month long yoga program, participants showed fewer stress hormones (cortisol), reduced fatigue and anxiety. Practicing outdoors puts yoga on a whole new level since there is more space to move and fresher air to breathe. It can also help moms—who’ve been facing a laptop screen and dirty kitchen—reconnect with the healing nature.
- Go for a walk: Take 10,000 steps a day and see the change in your overall well-being. Depending on your pace, it can only take 25 to 40 minutes, but it can increase your cardiovascular strength, eliminate excess fat, boost muscle power, and better endurance.
- Follow a fitness video at home: If time or circumstance does not permit, you can find a space at home, search for a fitness video, put on sportswear, and start moving.
2. Go out with your friends
We are all social beings, and the need to belong is inherently there. Yes, you have been spending time with your co-workers and family, but the company of great friends during motherhood is like a life jacket that can keep one afloat. Who else could better understand the struggles of a working mom? Of course, those who are on the same path as well.
Friendships become even more crucial when a stay-at-home mom since it is easy to feel isolated and excluded from the rest of the world. Hence, going out with friends is an excellent way of taking care of yourself.
3. Make time for your self-development
Getting promoted at work and receiving praises for doing a great job at home can be satisfying. But if these things seemed to be far from sight, you can also try to work on being a better individual. You can watch a documentary, read an enlightening book, pick a new hobby, and do other things you find yourself passionate about. Do not let work and motherhood limit your capabilities. There will always be room for personal growth.
4. Pamper yourself and allot quality time for yourself
Reward yourself. Purchase that new shade you have been eyeing for two months. Set a relaxing time for a warm bubble bath. Visit that salon for your waxing service session. Get yourself some fresh flowers. Listen to jazz. Drop by the newly opened coffee house. Gift yourself with a gratitude journal. Celebrate your small wins. Take time to look at yourself in the mirror and shower yourself with compliments. Light those scented candles. Pause and meditate. Believe in yourself and your capabilities.
Pampering yourself is the best way to de-stress and break away from the mundane life of a working mom.
5. Get enough sleep
It cannot be stressed enough how important sleep is. We all have our internal body clocks and respective circadian rhythm. It is no secret that amidst today’s hustle and bustle, there are many sleep-deprived individuals, and it’s easy to be counted among them when you are a working mother. The National Sleep Foundation prescribes adults have at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep.
To have a consistent and quality sleep, you have to set your bedtime and go to bed at the exact time every night. Try to switch off the artificial light or at least place a low-light lamp so your body can detect that it’s nighttime and release serotonin that will help you fall asleep.
A 30 to 45 minutes nap during the daytime can also energize you for the rest of the day.
Being a working mom entails not only parental and house skills but also excellent time management skills, since your time and energy are to be divided between family, work, and yourself. Once you achieve the right kind of balance, it will all go well. Just remember that no matter how hectic your schedule might get, you still have to dedicate a generous amount of time to yourself. Always make time for self-care.