They say that cleanliness is next to godliness. There’s a grain of truth in this adage, especially when it comes to keeping your house clean and tidy. Not only does cleanliness make you and your family feel comfortable at home, but it also keeps the whole household safe and healthy. Ultimately, it fosters the overall health and well-being of your family.
In this article, we’ve rounded up some practical cleaning tips on how to keep your house clean and tidy. Read below to learn how to promote healthy living at home.
1. Have a daily cleaning habit
Did you know that the average American spends an hour daily cleaning their house? If you aren’t one of them, better think twice. Keep in mind that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, and this applies to as simple as cleaning. You don’t necessarily have to take robust steps every day to transform your house. Just a few simple steps as part of your daily cleaning habit can make a huge difference. Here are some daily cleaning tips to take:
- Make the bed as soon as you wake up
- Clean while cooking and preparing food
- Wash the dishes after eating
- Get rid of seen clutter ASAP
- Wipe up messes right away
- Sweep the floor daily
2. Keep yourself and outdoor items clean first
The COVID-19 crisis has taught every household worldwide the importance of cleanliness. Various agencies set strict cleaning guidelines for every family to follow to avoid the spread of the novel coronavirus. Specifically, those who get out of their house and come back home are encouraged to follow certain guidelines. For one, the FPM guidelines ensure that you won’t bring the coronavirus into your house. Below are a few practical steps to follow:
- Remove your shoes before getting in. Clean them with disinfecting wipes.
- Safely discard your dirty clothes. Or wash them immediately.
- Be sure to wash and sanitize your hands before entering your house.
- Take a shower before you mingle with your family.
- Don’t forget to disinfect all the items before you bring them in.
3. Set best cleaning practices in place
Every household needs to have some cleaning practices set in place at home. When cleaning regularly, however, you don’t just clean helter-skelter. Keep in mind that wise cleaning is essential. There are a few cleaning practices you must adhere to. Below are some of these:
- Focus on high-touch surfaces. Be sure to not only clean but disinfect things such as your doorknobs, light switches, appliance handles, chairs, tables, and faucets.
- Don’t neglect soft surfaces. Once in a while, take time to clean things such as your upholstery, carpets, draperies, and mattresses.
- Prioritize the floors. Always sweep or vacuum your floors as they are the most vulnerable to dust, dirt, and other debris.
- Don’t ignore your gadgets and electronic devices. These include your mobile phones, laptops, computer keyboard and mouse, and TV remote.
- Pay attention to your bathroom and kitchen. Regularly clean and disinfect these areas of your house, as they are the most used and abused.
4. Improve air circulation at home
Air circulation at home must not be taken for granted. As much as possible, you must ensure the quality of air circulating your house. Ensure that no mildew, mold spores, pollens, pet dander, and other contaminants get into and go around your house. Hence, consider the following steps:
- Clean your heating and cooling systems: Take ample time to clean the ducts and vents of your air conditioning unit as well as your furnace. Be sure to change the filters regularly.
- Watch out for your doors and windows. They serve as entry points for elements like pollens from plants, outdoor pollution, and other contaminants. If faced with this problem, consider repairing your doors to avoid drafts or installing window films for added protection. However, one of the best decisions to make is to have door and window replacements if they are no longer fostering health and wellness at home.
5. Hire a cleaning service provider
If you’re preoccupied with life and work, it’s a good idea to hire cleaning professionals to ensure the utmost cleanliness of your home. You don’t necessarily have to hire them regularly. A one-time robust cleaning can make all the difference; you have to maintain it thereafter. These cleaning experts can get rid of the clutter and waste products at home. They can go as far as sanitizing and disinfecting your house to ensure it is free of germs and any microorganisms—coronavirus included.
Keeping your house clean and tidy is paramount. Not only does this make you feel comfortable and safe at home, but it also keeps your whole household healthy. That said, be sure to consider the practical cleaning tips outlined above. With all these in place, you can promote your family’s overall health and well-being.